Sunday, 2 July 2017

Life | Dad's Birthday Breakfast

So what I have I learnt over these past few weeks? That no matter how prepared you are to keep everything running smoothly when you move; it will all fall to pieces and you will lose your blogging mojo. On those days where you're still looking at all the boxes you need to unpack, your family will be the best people at keeping you sane and giving you the best laughs you've had in a while.


I was contacted by Sarah from Ross & Ross Foods to see if I would be interested in working with them to try out one of their curing kits for Father's Day! Now let's be honest, moving could not have come at a worse time for us and it threw everything up in the air. So a Father's Day gift guide turned into a Father's Day activity, a perfect treat for my Dad's birthday today!

One of the safest activities I could do with my Dad on Father's Day would be anything to do with food, if there is one thing my Dad definitely passed onto me then it's my love of food. So we set on curing the bacon, the instructions say to cure a bacon loin but we decided on general bacon so we could all enjoy a bacon sandwich and try all the flavours.

The instructions were really clear and really easy to follow, although trying to rub in the curing salts with the meat in the plastic bags wasn't the easiest thing in the world. We had three curing salts to use, and we used them all at once! We started with the smoky, and the smell of the salts alone was incredible. The smokiness really comes through, and you can definitely tell with flavour this one is straight away. The sweet and original salts kind of get lost and are really difficult to tell apart, but I am excited to try the sweet, maybe a little more than the smoky! Hanging the bacon up in the muslin also wasn't the easiest part of the process; even after cutting the muslin into three equal squares to hang the meat in, tying knots and hanging wasn't the easiest but we made it work.

So now, the Father's Day activity has become my Dad's birthday breakfast! For £21 I'd highly recommend people getting their hands on this kit and having a go themselves... I'm now off to look at all the other kits they do and see how else Ross & Ross can help me get creative in the kitchen!

I was sent this product for free in return for a review. I have not been paid for this post, all opinions remain my own and have not been influenced in any way.