Friday, 28 July 2017

Friday First | Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit


For a girl who wears a liquid lipstick more than anything, the lack of neutral everyday colours in my collection is horrendous. Revolution was the first brand I really heard of that brought out their own version of the Kylie lip kits and I can remember looking at them when they first launched. I can't remember the best colour selection being available, but I've always checked them out while I've been browsing the isles in Superdrug so when I spotted Reign I grabbed it and didn't look back.


The Revolution Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kits "contains 1 matte liquid lipstick and a matching liner" which I absolutely love. Nothing irritates me more than these lip kits where the lipliner is a totally different colour to the lipstick. Straight off the bat though? I'm not really sure how this can be sold as a lip contour kit when everything matches. Revolution simply tells you to "create your perfect lip by firstly applying the lip liner then the intense matte finish liquid lacquer for a long lasting and intense finish" (www.superdrug.com).

Because I've been duped by many lip kits that contain liners that are totally off, I usually totally skip this part. This is how I was rocking Reign while I was on holiday, but this definitely had its downsides. While applying Reign without the liner it just applied so streaky, and I was having to let each layer dry before another could be applied, and then was patting it on areas just to make it look even. As you can imagine I didn't automatically reach for it for a while after, but while craving a neutral lip I tried it once again.

Once I actually did as I was told and used the lip liner, everything changed. The liner is the creamiest one I have ever used and it just glided over my lips with no concern. Being such a neutral colour I didn't feel the need to fill in my lip but had it been a darker colour then I'd have no worries and I think my lips would fill in quite quickly. Somehow just by my lips being lined the lipstick applied totally differently; it became as smooth as butter, the colour was instantly perfect and it dried down amazingly quickly.

I only have two issues with the Revolution lip kit; when it's first applied it is actually quite drying and you have to do some kind of lip yoga to stretch your lips out just so you can talk normally. Reign dried down so well, so well in fact that it didn't even budge when I was stuffing my face with KFC, that I actually struggled to remove it and I had to go in twice with micellar water and a cleanser just to get it all off.

Will I continue to use Revolution's Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit? Reign definitely gives me that neutral, natural lip that I've been searching for forever. The Revolution Lip Kit did not budge from my lips throughout the day, no matter what I threw at it; it really did stand the test of food and drink!
Will I repurchase Revolution's Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit? Definitely. I'm going to be spending a lot more time looking at what colours are available from Revolution in their lip kits. I'm praying that I'm not betrayed by unmatching lip liners with any though...
Would I recommend Revolution's Retro Luxe Matte Lip Kit? If you're looking for a budget friendly lip kit that actually does what it says then I'd definitely pick these up and give them a go. I know that they have different types of finishes, which I know wouldn't suit me but I can already think of so many people who would be able to rock them!
Overall score out of 5? A 4. The fact that without the lip liner the lipstick behaved horrendously does go against this, unfortunately. Also, my rather attractive lip yoga that I have to do every time I wear this lipstick is also something I could do without. Saying that the staying power of this lipstick is something else and I'll be shouting about this for a very long time.