Friday, 6 January 2017

Friday First | Benefit Minis

So happy new year! I'm kicking off 2017 with a review of two pieces of makeup that I've been wanting to try forever; the Benefit Mini versions of They're Real! and the Pore Professional!

Benefit's They're Real! mascara is one that I've been recommended for years. Every time I've ever asked for mascara recommendations They're Real! has always been one that's popped up if I'm honest. I'd love to tell you a really decent reason for not trying it before but honestly, it's always been the £19.50 price tag that slightly put me off when I was a student. They're Real! claims that it "lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts and separates". The formula is described as "jet black and long-wearing" and promises to not "smudge or dry out". Now the brush shouts about being "a specially designed brush" that will "reveal lashes you never knew you had!" Now, if I'm honest the brush isn't anything special, and it actually reminds me of some mascara wands I've seen before... But maybe it was once something totally new (www.benefitcosmetics.com)!

So did They're Real! live up to all the recommendations and expectations? So, so. I definitely noticed that my lashes had added length, volume and they were definitely separated. I can't really say that I noticed any added curl to my lashes... I really do need to invest in an eyelash curler. As far as the smudge proof goes then that claim is definitely true, there is no top lid transfer and I can quite easily rub my eyes when I forget and not have to worry. Getting this shit off is interesting; when it came to the fourth day in a row at work and I just wanted to climb into bed I just took my makeup off with my micellar water. Now, I thought it was off completely until I woke up the next day with slight panda eyes so maybe not. So you definitely need a very good makeup remover; my Body Shop cleansing butter definitely does the trick though!

Let's be honest, we've all heard someone raving about The POREfessional once upon a time. I couldn't resist grabbing the mini just to see what all the hype is about. The POREfessional is apparently able to "quickly minimise the appearance of pores and fine lines for smoother-than-smooth skin!" The POREfessional is also able to "help makeup stay put" all while being "oil-free" and also "complements all skin tones" (www.benefitcosmetics.com).

Okay so the primer I'm currently using is the w7 anti redness primer which I love, so I didn't really need a new primer. The first thing that completely threw me is that POREfessional is skin toned; not something I look for in a primer. However, the colour doesn't make any difference at all and very quickly blends in so I do believe it would suit all skin tones regardless. Now as a primer it's quite nice. I can't feel it on my skin, it sinks in incredibly quickly and my makeup does seem to hold all day long which is nice. As for the aspect of minimising the appearance of my pores and fine lines? Well, the pores on my nose do look smaller and seem blurred, but I wouldn't say miracles were worked here. If I'm being honest, I wouldn't say that my pores are so noticeable that I need a pore minimizer.

Will I continue to use my Benefit Minis? Oh definitely. If I'm honest I think I'll have used up my POREfessional as I can see myself getting through the mini size quite quickly. As for They're Real! I'll definitely be reaching for this on those days where I want stand out lashes.
Will I repurchase my Benefit Minis? I won't be repurchasing The POREfessional unfortunately for me, the price tag just doesn't justify what it does... I'm also still in love with my w7 primer. I'm still undecided about repurchasing They're Real! as yes my lashes do look longer and have more volume but is that worth £10-20? I'm not sure.
Would I recommend the Benefit Minis? If you're wanting to try a Benefit product but don't want to pay the price for the full sized products then the minis are a great way to go. I can see They're Real! lasting me for a while, but I'll be getting through The POREfessional far too quickly for a £10 price tag.
Overall score out of 5? A 3 for The POREfessional and a 4 for They're Real! To say I've been wanting to try both of these products for a while I can't say I noticed anything stand out about them. Yes, They're Real! did give my lashes length and volume, it's definitely smudge proof and long lasting as it's a bugger to get off but do I love it more than my daily mascara? The POREfessional didn't give any special look to my skin that I don't get from my regular primer, so I'm definitely heartbroken with that. The POREfessional didn't break me out though or irritate my skin, which is always a good thing.

Have you tried either of the Benefit products that I tried? Do you have any products that are similar to the Benefit products? Let me know!