Friday, 28 October 2016

Friday First | NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams

NYX are a brand that I have wanted to get my hands on for so long, so when it was announced they were being launched in Boots like every other girl in the country my heart genuinely skipped a beat. I don't live in the biggest town so I never expected my local Boots to have their own NYX stand, so just imagine the little squeal that escaped my mouth when I saw this wonderful NYX stand that had popped up.

I can't lie; I now have the biggest NYX wish list but most of the pieces that I want are out of stock so I'm going to have to do an online order.. At least when I'm in store I can swatch lip colours! Which is exactly what I did last week when I finally decided to treat myself to three of the soft matte lip creams. The soft matte lip creams are described as "surprisingly durable, lightweight and delightfully creamy", with a "burst of creamy colour', a "sweetly scented formula" and they all set "to a stunning matte finish" (www.nyxcosmetics.com).

I initially picked up Istanbul because I've realised that I really need an everyday lip colour; Istanbul is simply described as a clean pink and it really is the most simple, everyday pink you could imagine. My eyes were then drawn to Prague, described as a matte merlot because that muted pink/purple is always a colour I love at any time of year. I then couldn't not walk away without picking up Copenhagen, a rich plum because oh my god just look at that colour. Although I can't lie, I am slightly disappointed with Copenhagen. I was expecting a really deep, intense plum colour that would be really in your face just like my Sleek Matte Me, but in reality it's more of a berry shade that I can very easily wear in the day.. Not to say it isn't a pretty colour, but not as intense or as dark as I expected.

I first tested Copenhagen, naturally with it being the darkest shade. It applies a little bit patchy so to combat this I just apply a wine coloured lip liner underneath it. It's not so patchy that colour is pulled from your lips, however it does become a little streaky and you have to be very careful how you touch it up. It wears incredibly well, it survived eating and drinking and only really wore away at the middle of my lips. This isn't a huge issue, it definitely would need to be applied again during the day but the lip creams are so easy to throw into your handbag that you can easily reapply them throughout the day without them being a huge inconvenience.

Prague applies so easily, there is a tiny little bit of patchiness but nothing that isn't fixed without a second coat; I can easily wear Prague without the need of a lip liner. It wore almost identically to Copenhagen; it faded more noticeably in the middle of my lips and would definitely need touching up more during the day. I left mine, purposely to see how it wore if not touched up, and it started to fade around the edge of my lips and I was kind of left with weird little patches of colour just on my lips.. So attractive.

Istanbul is a perfect my lips but better shade and applies so easily; there is no need for a lip liner, there is no patchiness, no streakiness, no anything. I'm not sure if this is because it's a lighter shade, or if because for me it's literally the perfect my lips but better shade but this was the best colour that I picked up for fading. The fading was barely noticeable; if you were going to be super picky then yes you can see the fading in the middle of the lips from eating and drinking but if you didn't want to touch up throughout the day or forgot to take the lip cream with you one day then you could definitely get away without touching up Istanbul.

The thing I definitely noticed with all three shades is that not one of these budged from my lips when eating and drinking; I had no transfer marks on my cups when drinking my tea, no lip marks on my food, no smudges on the edges of my fingers if I brushed my lips as I often forget.. Nothing, these things stay put and I didn't apply a setting spray any of the days when I was testing these out. The scent is great in these lip creams; NYX just describe it as sweet but there is definitely a hint of sugar, or vanilla.. Something I definitely know but just can't put my finger on. It's definitely there when you open the lip creams and when you first apply the product, but it isn't overwhelming and it disappears quite quickly. All of the colours I tested dried down very quickly to matte on the lips, but they weren't drying at all and to be honest I actually forgot that I was wearing a product on my lips.

Will I continue to use the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams? I will do. I'm really enjoying the colours that I've picked up so far and I have my eye on a few more colours from the Soft Matte Lip Cream range. I also love how the feel and wear on the lips!
Would I repurchase the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams? I think so. They are so light and soft on the lips you actually forget you have anything on your lips, even after wearing them all day long. At no point do they start to dry or become tight.
Would I recommend the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams? Oh definitely. They apply nicely enough, even though the darker you get the more need you have for a lip liner but all three I found seemed to last just as well. They didn't budge during eating or drinking which was a huge bonus and one I know a lot of people look for; and for such a decent price!
Overall score out of 5? A 4. The application isn't there across the entire range and if you don't have the lip liner for a specific colour then trying to touch up the patchiness can be slightly tricky. Application aside the wear of these is just incredible and I'm excited by the rest of the colour range!

Have you tried any of the Soft Matte Lip Cream's from NYX? Have you tried anything else from NYX? Do you have any NYX recommendations? Let me know!