Friday, 30 September 2016

Friday First | Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor


It's another liquid lipstick review! This week I'm looking at the Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor which was a really highly covered, anticipated and hyped up product. In the makeup world this was a liquid lipstick everyone has wanted to get their hands on and it's taken me so long to be able to get my hands on the shade that I wanted.

You know how my Friday First reviews work, so when a product has really little information it kind of freaks me out... Revlon describe their Ultra HD Matte Lipcolors' as "high definition matte lip colour". The Ultra HD Matte Lipcolors' are "100% wax-free" and instead are a "gel formula" that are "lightweight... moisturisingwith a "velvety feel" and have a "creamy mango and whipped vanilla fragrance" (www.revlon.co.uk).

Where do I start with this product? Let's start with the colour.. I picked up Flirtation because in tube it looked like it would be the perfect everyday colour and boy was I wrong. Flirtation is insanely bright; which isn't a bad thing. It's definitely a colour I'll be able to wear in the Spring and Summer, but it definitely isn't an everyday colour. It's more a colour I'm going to need a full face of makeup for and most definitely some form of event. I definitely wouldn't say this is a lightweight lip colour with a velvety feel either, the texture is incredibly thick that makes it very difficult to apply. Because the texture is so thick you can't apply it smoothly which means some of the colour is pulled from some areas meaning that the application ends up being incredibly patchy. I really don't like the applicator and I feel like this makes it harder to apply; because the application is shaped on both sides it makes it difficult for you to get a sharp line in the inner corner of your lips and around the edges of your lips. I just found that the Ultra HD Lipcolor just never dried down, now to say it's meant to be a liquid lipstick that is matte this is a huge problem. For me it acted more like a typical lipstick with a gloss applied over the top, not once did it show signs of even starting to dry down to a matte finish. Because of this is transfers so easily; the moment I had a drink it came off my lips, the moment I ate something it came off my lips even more. By the end of the day I just had a very faint trace of this left around the edge of my lips because it just never fully dried down. On the plus side I think I'm one of the few people who actually really enjoy the scent of this product.

Will I continue to use Revlon's Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor? I'll probably end up reaching for this on a Spring or Summer night where I need a pop of colour and I'm not expecting my lip colour to last me all day long, or if I'm going somewhere where I don't mind having to reapply my lip colour. I won't be reaching for it and continuing to use it as a long lasting matte liquid lipstick.
Would I repurchase Revlon's Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor? I'm not sure yet. There are a couple of colours within the range that I definitely have my eye on, but I feel that they're colours that I could from other ranges. For £8.99 for a product that claims to a be matte lip colour I wouldn't be repurchasing it for that reason.
Would I recommend Revlon's Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor? Not really. For a product that claims it is a matte lip colour it definitely didn't dry down to matte at all, in fact it was so shiny it may as well be a gloss. It transferred so easily that it just rubbed off my lips, it was really difficult to apply, and it was just patchy.
Overall score out of 5? A 2. The only aspect of this product that I really liked about this product was the scent. This is a product that is meant to be matte but not once did it start to dry down to a matte finish and it looked more like a gloss. It was difficult to apply, so much so that it was just patchy. It just rubbed off my lips because it transferred so easily. For a product that everyone seemed to be talking about and one that took me a while to get my hands on, I'm insanely disappointed.

Have you tried Revlon's Ultra HD Lipcolor? Are you a fan of Revlon's Ultra HD Lipcolor? Have you ever been disappointed with a product so quickly? Let me know!