Friday, 5 August 2016

Friday First | Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


"It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places."



I promise I'm going to keep this short and sweet because I know that people are either really, really bored of hearing about Harry Potter or somehow haven't had a chance to read it yet so I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't want to have it spoiled for them.

I know there has been a lot of divide amongst this book this week but let me just set the record straight, I absolutely loved it. Okay so I'm probably slightly biased because I'm one of the biggest Harry Potter fans ever. Don't get me wrong the plot wasn't perfect, and I can appreciate what was wrong with the story and I can see why people might have their issues with it but I really enjoyed it personally.

I think the story was a really good development of the story we were left with, to say we're revisiting Harry and his family nineteen years later. It was really fun seeing Harry in the father role, purely because it was a role I never envisaged Harry Potter in. I loved how classic scenes were revisited in a very sensitive and clever way and the emotion just pours from the page. Character development is something that jumps from the pages; with both characters that we know oh so well and characters that are very new to us and that we're taking under our wing and learning to love.

I'm writing this on the Tuesday as The Cursed Child came out on the Sunday and I've seen mixed reviews all over Twitter and I've read mixed reviews online and in every single paper it seems. I personally loved the script, and I knew full well that it was a script because surprise I'd done my research and JK Rowling also made it really clear in February it was the script being released. At many points while reading it all I could think was how a certain scenes would be portrayed on stage, because in my head I was imagining them so amazingly. I also think that Jack Thorne has done justice to the Harry Potter universe; I think he's been able to take us back to the Harry Potter nineteen years later in such a beautiful way.

Would I recommend Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? If you're a Harry Potter fan then obviously The Cursed Child is an absolute must; it's a natural progression of the story. However it works quite well as a stand alone story too which is really quite interesting and it's been done very well. I've seen a lot of young children buying the Cursed Child which makes me incredibly happy because Harry Potter really is reaching a new generation.

Would I re-read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? Let's be honest, when it comes to my yearly re-read of the Harry Potter series the Cursed Child will definitely be added to the list. Like I've already said I think it was a great natural progression of the story and I really enjoyed it.
Overall score out of 5? An incredibly high 4. We got to see Harry, Ron and Hermione all grown up and we got to meet new characters who we got to take under our wing and fall in love with them. I read it in 3 and a half hours, so I'm now desperate to see how it would all unfold on stage.


Have you read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child? Have you been lucky enough to see it live yet? What are your thoughts on the Cursed Child? Let me know!