Sunday, 31 July 2016

Lifestyle | The Harry Potter Tag

Let's be honest, if you know me at all then you're probably surprised that it's taken me this long to write about anything to do with Harry Potter on my blog. In fact, if you've been around from the very beginning then you might just remember that my original header had the scar and glasses hidden in the corner... Anyway, I've recently got my Harry Potter tattoos and I recently found this Harry Potter tag over on SugarQuills and I just knew it was a tag that I had to do. With today being Harry Potter's birthday and the release of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts I & II, today couldn't be more appropriate for this tag to go live!

1. Favourite Book?
This isn't even a hard question, when I know a lot of people expect it to be. For me it's The Prisoner of Azkaban. It's the book when Harry really discovers the meaning of family again. In the beginning you really get the feeling of how much James and Lily mean to Harry and how desperate he is to just have the family, and in the end he gets given that with Sirius.

2. Least Favourite Book?
When I was younger my least favourite was The Order of the Phoenix, but now I'm older I appreciate that book a hell of a lot more. There was just so much that I missed when I was younger and just didn't understand when I was young and naive. If I had to pick I'd probably say that The Chamber of Secrets; purely for all the spidery bits if I really have to pick a reason.

3. Favourite Movie?
I have a Sirius Black film quote tattooed on me, so I naturally have to say The Prisoner of Azkaban. For the same reason as the books the whole meaning of family running throughout the film is the main reason as to why it's my favourite film. Even if I catch it half way through I will not move until the very end. Although I naturally also have to say that The Philosopher's Stone is also my favourite because it's whee the magic began, cliché I know.

4. Least Favourite Movie?
Definitely The Half Blood Prince, purely because it was so rushed compared to the books and it's definitely the film I find myself explaining most to people who haven't read the books. Am I allowed to say The Order of the Phoenix or The Deathly Hallows because of Sirius or Lupin?

5. Favourite Quote?
You seriously expect me to be able to pick one quote out of seven books? I can probably narrow it down to two; "Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light" and "Have a biscuit, Potter".

6. Favourite Weasley?
It's either Molly Weasley, because to her family are everything and this was such an important undercurrent that remained constant throughout the books. Aurthur Weasley, because he is just hilarious and he made hurt with laughter something, but he also had moments where he caught me so off guard I actually choked up. Or Fred and George, because hello they do count as one, do you really need an explanation for Fred and George?

7. Favourite Female Character?
Luna Lovegood. She was so misunderstood and she was treated so poorly by so many people but she didn't let it change who she was as a person. She was so loyal to Harry, and I just know she is someone who you'd be lucky to be able to call a friend and have on your side. She's also just someone who I imagined to be so beautiful.

8. Favourite Villain?
Dolores Umbridge. She's so uncomfortably human, everybody knows someone like her and has probably dealt with a teacher who was exactly like Umbridge. That woman genuinely makes me feel uncomfortable no matter how many times I re-read the books or re-watch the films.

9. Favourite Male Character?
I'm forever torn between Sirius Black and Ron Weasley. I have a Sirius Black film quote tattooed on me, he was Harry's flicker of hope of family (I never discredit the Weasley's, but Sirius was just something a little extra), he always treated Harry as an equal and felt that he deserved to know exactly what was going on. He never tried to treat him as a child or 'protect' him from anything that was going on. He was fiercely loyal to James and Lily throughout everything and after everything and I think that was exactly what Harry needed, he was also the extra father figure that Harry needed. Ron Weasley is the best friend that we all would love to have. Ron is fiercely loyal to Harry, but he's also incredibly human. He has that moment where he doubts himself and the friendship that he has with Harry, he goes off, he shows his weaknesses and remind us that this is true life. He's the most human character in the books; he has his flaws and he's one of the characters that you initially don't think will get very far.

10. Favourite Professor?
Professor Minerva McGonagall will forever be my woman crush, she is such a sassy woman and everything I want to be in life.

11. Would you rather wash Snape's hair or spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself?
If I wash Snape's hair have I only got to do it the once and is he likely to lighten up at some point? I really cannot deal with Lockhart, so I'll definitely take Snape.

12. Would you rather duel an elated Bellatrix or an angry Molly?
I'll take Bellatrix any day. Bellatrix is predictable when she's manic and you can guess what she's going to do, and eventually she's going to mess up. An angry Molly is scary, you never know what she's going to do or when she's going to snap.

13. Would you rather travel to Hogwarts via Hogwarts Express or Flying Car?
I want to buy the entire sweets trolley like Harry did, so the Hogwarts Express please.

14. Would you rather kiss Voldemort or give Umbridge a bubble bath?
Oh Jesus Christ, neither. If I had to chose I'd give Umbridge a bubble bath becuase if worse comes to worst I'll just keep her happy with kittens and pink things.

15. Would you rather ride a Hippogriff or a Firebolt?
I've never had a fantastic sense of balance, and I don't think I'd be great at flying either to be honest. At least on a Hippogriff I've lot a more room where as on a Firebolt I've only got a very small stick to balance on, so a Hippogriff please.

16. Is there a character you felt different about in the movies?
As everyone who does this tag is going to say, I loved Ginny in the books and I'm not sure what happened to her in the films. Snape was another character I feel like that about, although not necessarily in a negative way. I can't quite put my finger on what it was about Snape because Alan Rickman is the perfect Snape and nobody could have played him more perfectly, maybe it's just how the films were done. Dumbledore is also another character I felt very differently about in the films, but this is because so much of his backstory is missed out in the films and I feel that this would have added so much.

17. Is there a movie you preferred to the book?
This is actually an unfair question because I love the books for so many reasons but I also love the films for so many reasons.

18. Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
Richard Harris was closer to how I personally imagined Dumbledore, but we has Michael Gambon as Dumbledore for a lot longer and he played out some key scenes, and he wasn't terrible. Again potentially an unfair question as we didn't really get to see Richard Harris give it his all as Dumbledore so who knows what he would have bought to the table.

19. Your top thing (person or event) that wasn't in the movies but you wanted to be?
Oh my god I have three! Dumbledore's back story is my main one though. I feel like it would have helped to explain a lot more of the plot line and help some parts flow a lot more naturally without feeling a bit jumpy... One that kind of links to that is them exploring the searches for the horcruxes a lot deeper. It was covered, but I feel that a little bit more detail again would have just helped things to flow a little more smoothly. One thing that I'm so heartbroken that wasn't even mentioned at all was Hermione's S.P.E.W. organisation, purely because I think it would have been fun to bring in more house elves!


20. If you could remake any of the movies, which would it be?
The Half Blood Prince, I feel like it was so rushed.

21. Which house was your first gut feeling you'd be part of?
Bit of a ridiculous back story but when I was in junior school my school house was Badgers, so I always thought I'd be a Hufflepuff.. Plus the common room is close to the kitchen..

22. Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottermore?
Pottermore actually placed me into Hufflepuff!

23. Which class would be your favourite?
I think divination would be a class that I'd be really interested in, I've always been interested in that kind of thing anyway!

24. Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Definitely Accio because I always put things in a 'safe' place that I'm pretty sure that I'll never forget. I can then never remember where that safe place is..

25. Which character do you think you'd instantly become friends with?
I think I'd definitely become friends with Luna. We're both a little out of the ordinary and not with the 'in crowd' so I'd like to think we'd be good friends.

26. If you could own one of the hallows, which would it be?
I can't think of anytime that I think I'd need to use the Elder Wand, having a normal wand would be plenty enough for me, and even then I don't know if I'd trust myself to not be insanely clumsy with a normal wand. I think the Resurrection Stone is something I'd definitely be tempted by, but I know I wouldn't be able to cope with only being able to see my loved ones again just one last time, I'd rather not see them ever again. So that just leaves me with the Invisibility Cloak which thinking about it gives me loads of opportunities!

27. Are there any aspects of the books you would want to change?
Of course I'd want to change all the deaths, I think there are so many people that didn't actually deserve to die and actually quite a lot of people that I still even now can't accept actually did die. But I think that everything happened perfectly in it's own way and all came together so I actually wouldn't change anything, despite it all being emotionally draining every single time I re-read the books.

28. Favourite Marauder?
If you haven't worked it out by now I'm a little bit in love with Sirius Black, Padfoot.

29. If you could bring one character back to life, who would it be?
Sirius, James, Lily, Lupin and Tonks.

30. Hallows or Horcruxes?
I'm going to have to say the Hallows purely because I'll never have any use for a Horcrux in my life!