Friday, 3 June 2016

Friday First | Bean Burst


Remember when you were younger and you were probably told that you'd grow out of your spots.. Yeah who made up that lie? Here I am at 22 still struggling with my skin and I think I've only just really got it under control. As well as struggling with my face I also struggle really bad with my shoulders and the top of my back. This is actually the area that bothers me more, which probably makes no sense as I can cover my shoulders and back a lot easier. However, it's also really difficult to find products that work for this area as I find the typical spot treatments for your face just don't work the same on your shoulders. Also my skin can be quite sensitive when using products that are just packed full of alcohol, and we all know how horrible really tight feeling skin can be.

I'm sure, like me, you've been seeing coffee scrubs literally all over social media. I can't go onto the explore section of my Instagram or scroll down my Twitter feed without seeing someone covered in coffee looking incredibly happy. I've always been interested in what the big deal about coffee scrubs are, so when I was given the chance to work with Bean Burst I instantly took it. Bean Burst sent me a 100g bag of their Grapefruit Blend Coffee Scrub* which is made up of coffee, pink Himalayan salt, coconut oil, apricot kernal oil, jojoba oil and Marula oil so naturally I just couldn't wait to try it. The grapefruit blend has been designed to "clear, balance and awaken your skin" and targets "cellulite, stretch marks, acne, scarring and dry skin conditions" (beanburst.com).. Can you see why I picked this blend? Bean Burst do other blends; a Sweet Orange blend that is designed to "cleanse, calm and revitalise skin" and a Peppermint Blend that is designed to "invigorate, brighten and energise skin" so there is a blend for everyone!

Bean Burst state that their "full body coffee scrub will exfoliate, hydrate and moisturise your skin at the deepest levels" which will "result in a silky smooth skin tone". The one thing that I absolutely love about Bean Burst is that on their website, when looking at each blend of coffee scrub it explains exactly why each ingredient is in there and what they can do for your skin. Coffee is "natural exfoliant that's full of antioxidants" that can help "to boost blood circulation which helps to produce new healthy skin cells". Coffee also "dehydrates the water in the fat cells which helps to reduce the appearance of cellulite by creating a tighter, firmer skin tone". Pink Himalayan Salt is used within the blend because it's "well known for it's cleansing, healing and antiseptic properties which can help to remove bacteria from the skin and provide your skin with essential minerals". Out of all of the essential oils used in this blend I've heard of them all apart from the Marula Oil. Marula Oil must be something I'm apparently missing out on because it's "known as 'Africa's Miracle Oil' because of the numerous benefits that it has on our skin" and "contains powerful antioxidants, essential omega fatty acids and vitamins". So because of all these wonderful properties Marula Oil "works to repair, protect, hydrate and balance your skins natural pH levels, promoting a healthy skin tone with fewer breakouts", meaning that this is "particularly beneficial for dry skin and conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and acne" (beanburst.com).

As I've mentioned before when it comes to body scrubs I prefer scrubs on the drier side and this scrub from Bean Burst is definitely that. It isn't so dry that it feels like you're ripping your skin to shreds, in fact because of the scrub having a blend of coffee, salt and essential oils the essential oils very quickly sink into your skin and your skin instantly feels moisturised whilst having a good exfoliation. Bean Burst recommend that you leave the scrub on your skin for 5-10 minutes, this is probably to allow all the goodness to sink into your skin and feel it leaving great before you rinse it off. This isn't a problem for a me, I just pin my hair up at the end of my shower and apply my Bean Burst blend just before I shave my legs so that it has plenty of time to sink in. This is definitely messy and I do have to rinse my shower after I get out, but that isn't a problem.

After using my Bean Burst blend for the very first time I could notice a different in my shoulders and the top of my back and how they felt and looked. I've used it a couple of times since and I'm really starting to see the difference. My shoulders and the top of my back now have a smoother skin texture and I'm having a lot less breakouts. I have a long way to go with the scarring still but I'm going to continue to use my Bean Burst blend along with my body spray from Boots to see how far we get with the scarring, although I actually have high hopes for this. I've only used this once on my stretch marks but again so far everything just feels a little better, firmer and nicer. I try to avoid using my body wash in the areas where I've used my Bean Burst blend because I don't want to wash away the goodness that's been left, does that make sense? So the scent of coffee does linger a little bit on the skin, but it isn't enough that every time you move your arm you can smell coffee, in fact unless you press your nose to your skin it isn't strong enough to smell.


Will I continue to use the Bean Burst Grapefruit Blend? Definitely. A little bit of this scrub is more than enough to cover my shoulders, top of my back and top of my arms so it's going to last me many uses. I'm already loving the differences that I'm seeing to my shoulders and the top of my back so I have high hopes in continuing to use my Bean Burst blend.
Would I purchase the Bean Burst Grapefruit Blend? It's definitely been added to my list, a 200g bag is £15 from Bean Burst. As I've already said so far I'm loving the results that I'm seeing and they're the best results I've had from any product I've used before. I think Neutrogena have a body wash that is designed to treat body acne so I think I want to try that and then I'll be able to compare my results. But so far, I'll definitely be repurchasing this Bean Burst Blend.
Would I recommend the Bean Burst Grapefruit Blend? Definitely. If you suffer with acne then I'd definitely tell you to give this a go, especially body acne but you can use this on your face very lightly and leave it on as a face mask. I'm going to keep trying it out on my stretch marks and other problem areas to see if I get results as good as I've seen with my acne. My skin also feels a lot more hydrated and a lot less dry so if dry skin is something you suffer with, this could also be for you.
Overall score out of 5? A 4. I'm excited to see how it works and if it helps at all with my scarring on my shoulders and back and if it has any effect on my stretch marks. The scent is a nice blend of coffee and grapefruit and neither overpower the other. A little goes a long way so for me it's really fairly priced and something I think will become a staple in my skin and body care.

Have you ever tried one of the blends from Bean Burst? Have you ever tried a coffee body scrub at all? Is a coffee body scrub something that you think you'd try? Let me know!

*I was sent this product for free in return for a review. I have not been paid for this post in anyway, all opinions remain my own and have not been influenced in anyway.