Sunday, 13 March 2016

Life | De-Stressing and Sleeping Easier


I was already thinking about writing this post but then my boyfriend sent me the above picture last night which seemed to describe my life perfectly, so now I definitely need to write about how I de-stress.


I feel like I came out of the womb stressing. Okay so slight exaggeration, but I've always been a stressful person; the smallest things can stress me out and send me over the edge. Just be glad you didn't know me back in school when I was taking my exams, and if you did.. I'm so sorry! Due to stress lately I've also been struggling with my sleep a lot, so let me talk you through just a few of the things that I do to de-stress and help me sleep and some things that you could try.


Podcasts
I've recently fallen back in love with listening to podcasts. I know some people like to listen to music while they sleep but I've never been able to do this, music actually keeps me awake.. Yes even the most gentle, soothing song. I have discovered though that podcasts help me sleep. I've recently discovered The Walker Stalkers Podcasts as I'm a huge fan of The Walking Dead, and if I'm struggling to sleep I stick on a podcast that I've already listened to, because let's be honest I want to listen to the latest podcast so I don't miss anything, and slowly drift off.


Colouring Books
Everyone is on the colouring book hype, so I won't spend too much time on this one. I actually have a couple of colouring books next to where I sit in the living room for those days where I just can't focus on anything or I feel slightly on edge. But I also keep these two next to my bed, especially my 'Can't Sleep' colouring book. I don't reach for these if I wake up in the middle of the night, but I do reach for them if I'm struggling to sleep because I have too much on my mind.

Candles
I also keep my favourite candle next to my bed, so I rotate my candles depending on which scent I'm loving most. This just helps me to relax a little bit when I'm in bed if again I've got too much on my mind and I just need a helping hand to relax a little bit more. I don't know about you but the little flame flickering in the corner of my eye is quite relaxing and really distracts me from whatever might be on my mind.


Lavender Products
Probably the most recommended thing ever as soon as you tell someone that you're struggling to sleep. However the Planet Spa range from Avon really are the best kind of lavender products I've used. The pillow mist isn't overpowering and really helps me fall back to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night and really can't get back to sleep. I also use the balm from Planet Spa and apply it to my temples and my wrists which just helps the scent really work its magic as I sleep with my wrists bundled into my face if that makes any sense.

Herbal Tablets
So I'm very aware that this is a very controversial one. I don't use these all the time, just times when I'm really struggling with my stress and it's getting in the way of everything else. I used these way back when I was taking my GCSEs and I went back to them went I was taking my A Levels. I prefer to take these instead of any other kind of calming tablet because they're completely herbal and natural so I kind of have a little more control over what is going in to my body. I'm not 100% sure if these do work or if it's more of a placebo affect for me, but when things are getting really tough, I'm really struggling with my stress and stress is getting in the way of everything in my life these seem to help then.

Other Things
Something I do a hell of a lot when I'm really stressed and I just want to escape from life is go for a super long bath, usually with a Lush product thrown in. I love nothing more than laying in the bath with a candle and a book for what seems like forever just forgetting about the world for that time. Having a hot drink also helps me a lot. I live on tea anyway but having a hot drink especially before I go to bed really helps me to relax and de-stress a little. I've recently switched to decaf tea which is how I'm able to have a cup of tea right before I go to bed, but a hot chocolate or whatever you like would work just as well. I very rarely make myself a hot drink when I wake up in the middle of the night with so much on my mind because I have a bad habit of falling asleep with half a cup of tea left. Reading is a great tool. I read in the bath, I read in bed, I read anywhere I can because it really helps me to escape whatever is stressing me out or whatever might be on my mind. I read my Kindle to help me drift off to sleep but when I wake up in the middle of the night I tend to reach for my phone and read either an AskReddit, AMA or TIL on Reddit as that seems to help me fall asleep again instead of just lying in bed.

So those are just some of the things that really help me to de-stress and help me sleep a little bit easier. One thing I have discovered is that de-stressing and sleeping easier is a very personal thing, so try different things that people suggest but ultimately try anything that you think might work for you! Let me know if you have any other tips for de-stressing and sleeping a little bit easier when you might have too much on your mind.