Friday, 5 February 2016

Guest Post | Essential Twenty - Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet Lipsticks

So today we're doing something a little bit different; for the first time ever I have someone guest posting on my blog! This is something I've wanted to do for ages as I think it's a great way to introduce a blogger to a whole new audience and give them some new readers!

The incredible lady who is guest blogging for me today is Sophie from Essential Twenty. You can also find her over on TwitterInstagram, and Pinterest. I hope you enjoy this guest post, and please let us both know what you think as we're actually doing a post swap and I have a post over on Sophie's blog too!


I love a matte lipstick. I’m very low maintenance so if a lipstick can stay on all day without a touch up I am down for trying it. To me, it’s a real shocker that I hadn’t tried the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet liquid lipsticks because liquid lipsticks have been some of my favourite products in the back end of 2015. So for this post swap, both Beka and I will be giving out two cents on these much loved products.

I picked up the shades Grand Cru and Peach Club thanks to the buy one, get one half price offer in Boots. Grand Cru is a pink-red shade whereas Peach Club is definitely orange. I think I was having a mad moment in Boots because I never buy orange, especially in the bleak Yorkshire winter.

To be quite frank, I wasn’t impressed. I think the main reason I’ve never bought them before is because they just don’t sell the colours that I normal wear. I’m all about brown nudes and the occasional berry shade and the range is lacking in both of those. Sure, there is Beau Brown but this is never in stock when I look (although I believe its back in stock on Boots, at least it was the other day). They also take forever to dry – if I wanted wet lips all day I’d go for a lip gloss. Another slight pitfall is that none of the colours look like they do in the tube, at all. If you want a red you’ve got to look for something that isn’t red to even get a remote likeness!

However, the staying power is pretty impressive. It lasts pretty much all day and I wore Grand Cru the other week and it didn’t come off during the blood, sweat and tears at the gym. I just wish I was brave enough to wear OlĂ© Flamingo because Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup rocks it so well, but I’m not a bright girl nor am I a pink lip girl. Next time you’re buy a Bourjois stand you need to swatch it because the colour payoff is incredible.

I’m quite disappointed because I love Bourjois makeup, but I think I’ll be sticking to my favourite Kat Von D liquid lipstick from now on.