Friday, 22 January 2016

Friday First | The Danish Girl


I finally feel like I've finally managed to watch a film while everyone else is still watching it; rather watching it like three months after it originally came out.

As always with all the film reviews I'll keep it as short and sweet as possible without giving away any spoilers. However if you want to avoid spoilers all together, I'd stop reading now.

The first thing I will tell you is that The Danish Girl will make you cry; let me just put that out there. Whether it is just a small sniffle like me, or full on ugly crying like my mum was. Just be prepared and have the tissues ready for this film.

The film is based on the true story of Einar Wegener (played by Eddie Redmayne) and follows his and his wife's, Gerda (played by Alicia Vikander), journey as he discovers his alter ego Lili and plans to undergo one of the first sex-change operations. That is as far as I'm willing to go explaining the plot as I don't want to ruin it for those of you who might still be reading to see my thoughts but don't want to discover the entire plot. The book is based on Einar's own diaries, Man Into Woman; now published as Lili: A Portrait of the First Sex Change.

The film is refreshingly truthful. I'm not one for films that change a story or make it more dramatic for a film. The emotion was easily felt in The Danish Girl. Eddie Redmanye portrayed Einar's struggle, feelings and emotions truthfully and you really felt for Einar. Alicia Vikander also portrayed Gerda's own struggle and emotions perfectly, and you could really understand the difficulties that she faced. It wasn't a film where you were rooting for one person more than the other, you can relate to both characters really easily and I was truly hooked from the moment it started. The relationship between Einar and Gerda was portrayed beautifully and I felt myself falling in love instantly. 

I don't think I can shout about this film any more than I currently am and I really want everyone I know to go and see this film. Immediately after watching this film I downloaded the book to my Kindle and I can't wait to start reading into Einar/Lili's story even further.

Would I recommend The Danish Girl? I would, I found it to be a film that was incredibly educational without you even realising it at the time. I was drawn in emotionally straight away and felt myself falling in love. Warning: I was not emotionally prepared for The Danish Girl.
Would I re-watch The Danish Girl? I will. There are so many people that I want to make sure watch this film, so I'll definitely watch it with them again.
Overall score out of 5? I'd give it a 4.5. Now that I know it was based on Lili's own diaries I just know that there is more to learn about Lili's story that the film just couldn't portray. I loved it so much and I think the acting by Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander deserves every award out there for telling this story so beautifully.

Have you watched The Danish Girl? Is it a film that you'd want to watch? Let me know!