Friday, 20 November 2015

Friday First | Daughter

A book that I feel that was on my 'to read' list for what felt like forever, and one that I now still can't work out how I feel about it now that I've had a chance to read it.

The story focuses on Jenny and her daughter Naomi who has gone missing and follows her journey trying to work out what has happened to her. The book jumps back and forth between the days just after Naomi's disappearance and the year afterward. This made the book a little difficult to read. At the beginning this concept was fantastic, I was instantly hooked; looking for all the clues and looking into every single thing possible to see if I had somehow missed something. However the book seemed to go on forever, I can actually remember looking down at the bottom of my kindle after reading this book for a week straight to see that I was only on 40 something%..

The second half of the book seemed to drag, especially the chapters written a year after Naomi's disappearance. I felt that nothing was really added to the story through these sections and definitely felt like filler chapters. It was difficult to work out why Jenny's family were written the way they were; I can definitely say that a lot of explanation is lacked in this book.

The book was written in an incredibly way and I was definitely hooked, the first half hooked me in such a way that even when I was trawling through the filler chapters I was still desperate to know what happened. I must admit the ending for me felt incredibly rushed and I feel like I am lacking so many answers; I actually feel incredibly dissatisfied with the ending and feel like another book could tie up so many lose ends.

Would I recommend Daughter? If you like books that keep you guessing and on the edge of your seat then definitely. It's wrote in a way that keeps you coming back for more, because you just want to know all the answers.
Would I re-read Daughter? I don't think so. It's the kind of book that I wouldn't be able to re-read purely because I know how it ends and that definitely takes away from the magic of this book. Maybe if I ever did re-read the book I'd potentially pick up on something else that I may have missed, but I don't think it would add to the story too much.
Overall score out of 5? A low 3. The book was written well and I was definitely desperate to know all the answers, so much that some days when I wasn't reading the book I'd be thinking about it, just wondering if I'd missed or overlooked something. However the ending for me was rushed and I have so many questions unanswered.


Have you read Daughter? Is it a book that you would read? Let me know below!