Sunday, 11 October 2015

Life | Time To Change Champion

So yesterday was World Mental Health Day and yesterday I decided to become a Time To Change Champion. I wrote a blog post on World Mental Health Day last year and if you want to read that then please feel free to go back and read that. I wasn't really involved in the blogging community last year so I never really saw how the community came together for World Mental Health Day, but yesterday I was incredibly moved and incredibly proud of how everyone seemed to be talking about mental health and how I seemed to see #WorldMentalHealthDay everywhere.

If you know me then you will know that mental health is a subject that is very close to my heart and it's a subject that I strive to raise awareness for. I wrote last year that I want to raise more awareness for mental health, and this is something that I still stand for. As you know I took part in the Time To Change Campaign in February whilst at university and raised awareness by getting as many people as possible to have a five minute conversation, but I still want to do more. This isn't just because I'm a mental health nurse; this is because I have personal experience with mental health, I know how mental health effects people and more importantly I know just how much stigma can affect people too.

I'd somehow never heard of being a Time To Change Champion, however as soon as I saw it mentioned on Twitter earlier today I jumped on board. I absolutely love the idea of being a Time To Change Champion and what the idea stands for. I have always said that the best people to teach about mental health and end mental health stigma are those who have experience, nobody else will ever be able to tell you what it's like. I love the idea that I will be able to have access to the Time To Change materials to be able to hand out if I have a chance or to be able to hold a coffee morning to raise awareness and end stigma. The coffee morning is something that me and my Mum are already starting to talk about and organise and I'm pretty sure I'll be blogging all about that when that happens.

I encourage people to ask honest questions about mental health; there is no such thing as a stupid question, only a poorly worded question.

I'm not pushing anybody to become a Time To Change Champion, I'm much more for the idea that people should speak about their mental health experiences if they feel comfortable enough to do so; after all it is an incredibly sensitive topic. If you do want to become a Time To Change Champion you can do so here, and please let me know if you do!