Friday, 8 May 2015

Friday First | #TheStrangerOnTheBridge


This weeks Friday First is very different, it isn't a first impression for a product and it isn't really a first impression for a book or a film. Nope, this week I'm talking about a TV programme, well a documentary.

The Stranger On The Bridge was broadcast Monday night at 9pm, and was a documentary following the story of Jonny Benjamin and his campaign #FindMike. For those who don't know here is a little background story: in January 2008 Jonny stood on Waterloo Bridge in London, preparing to take his own life. A stranger walking across the bridge saw Jonny and talked him down from the edge. After this Jonny wanted to find the stranger and thank him, and with the support of Rethink Mental Illness the campaign #FindMike began.

That's all I'm going to tell you because for those who don't know about this or haven't watched this documentary, I don't want to spoil it and tell you what happens. Obviously being a mental health nurse this is a documentary I was bound to watch, but again I'm here to highlight the importance of mental health and just how important it is to talk about this.

For me this was a tearjerker, not just for me actually for many other people I know who have watched this. But for me I found it so moving that so many people within this documentary, obviously including Jonny himself, were talking so openly and so honestly about mental health. For me it offered a refreshing view into mental health. We hear so much about how we should be changing the stigma surrounding mental health, but there is still a huge taboo when it comes to talking about suicide. For me this documentary provided such an honest viewpoint into suicide, not only how it affects those left behind, but more for those who are actually in that frame of mind in that moment.

Most importantly I think it highlighted how just a small random act of kindness or just that one small conversation with a stranger could be the one thing that they need to just get them through their day. 

I don't want to say too much about this documentary because I think there is so much to learn from this documentary and I want as many people as possible to watch this. For me, if there is one thing I took from this documentary is that I am going to make even more of a conscious effort than normal to make sure I talk to at least one stranger every day.

Did you watch The Stranger On The Bridge? Is this something that you would watch? What do you think about this story?