Friday, 6 March 2015

Friday First | Chapters Of My Life

When it comes to reading I'm a person who takes months to read a book or I can read it in a matter days. In the space of two weeks I've managed to get through books, so I though it would be fitting to make this week's Friday First all about what I've been reading lately.

JoJo Moyes - Me Before You
Let me start by saying that I loved this book. Initially I couldn't remember where I'd got the recommendation for this book from but reading on I remembered I was recommended this book because I absolutely loved The Fault In Our Stars.

For me the book started a little bit slow and it did take me a while to get into it, but once I did I was hooked and it didn't take me long to finish the book at all. When hooked I easily fell into the story line and became so invested in the characters and their story, so much so that when I finally finished this book on the train home I had to make sure that no one could see that I was crying.

This book made me fall in love and then completely ripped my heart out, but it was worth it.

Would I recommend Me Before You? I would, especially to people who I knew enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars and books along those lines. I fell in love with this book so much I just want everyone I know to read this book.
Would I re-read Christmas with Me Before You? I think I will, but it will take me a while to pick it up again, one because I have so many other books to read but two because I don't know how soon I can put myself through the heartache again.
Overall score out of 5? A high 4, very nearly a 5. The only reason I didn't give this book a 5 is purely because it started a bit slow for me, but by the end I was completely in love.


E L James - Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy
I am very aware that some people are going to judge me relentlessly because of these books but let me start by highlighting the fact that the only reason I actually read these books was because I was hearing a lot about the 'abuse' within the story and I wanted to be able to judge what I was hearing about the books and the films fairly.

Now saying that, I really enjoyed these books. Not for the reasons you may think, yes the sex is there and you can't escape that fact but in the second and third books especially the story line develops and Christian is possibly one of the most interesting, and secretive characters. 

To put it simply, I think the reason that I read these three books so quickly is purely because I so desperately wanted to work out why Christian is the way that he is.. Or as my mum put it, I was "analysing him".

Would I recommend the Fifty Shades Trilogy? I would, but I was also tell people to read the books with an open mind. The sex is there, and you can't get away from that but read the story line around that.
Would I re-read the Fifty Shades Trilogy? I'm not sure, they're not the first books I will run to when looking for a recognisable read.
Overall score out of 5? 3. I wouldn't say they were the best written books, I have read better and the sex is obviously a thing that at times meant I felt awkward and they weren't books I felt I was able to read when I was out and about. But like I said earlier, Christian Grey is one of the best characters I've read, I simply loved the secrecy that surrounded him.


Have you read any of these? What have you been reading lately? Let me know below.