Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Life | The Fault In Our Stars Film Review


So I, like many girls across the world, jumped at the chance to see the film release of the much anticipated adaptation of John Green's 'The Fault In Our Stars', and also dragged the boyfriend along, sorry Ryan!

It's fair to say that this review will be short, sweet, and probably vague as the last thing I want to do is ruin it for those who haven't had the chance to see it yet.

The movie was everything I could have asked for. Knowing that John Green was working closely with the movie to ensure that it was as close to the book as possible gave me high hopes, and it sure did not let me down. Hazel and Gus looked how I'd imaged them whilst I was reading the book, this may have also been helped by the fact that I managed to avoid all internet craziness surrounding the filming of this. I only have three niggles with the film: 
  • One of my favourite scenes was not included, however I'm pretty sure that is a complaint for all book to movie adaptations
  • One of the scenes was changed, however I can completely see why it was changed for the movie
  • And most importantly, to me anyway, the last line was changed. However, for those who haven't read the book, I know this won't make the slightest difference, and it doesn't make any difference to the film.
This film will make you cry, whether that be a small sniffle or full on ugly crying, don't be afraid just embrace it. At the end of the showing I went to everyone was looking around to ensure that everyone else was crying, although I'm amazed they didn't hear me sniffling in the back throughout the entire film. I still can't be sure if I was crying from the word go because I knew what was coming, or because it was just beautiful, probably both.

For those people who haven't read the book and don't know what they are in for, it's a refreshing film with some hard truths, but a great film. For those people who have read the book, I don't think we've been let down with the adaptation.

I can't recommend this film, or book any more. It's definitely worth seeing, and if you haven't read the book, definitely worth reading.