Friday, 21 February 2014

Life | Organisation Tips Of A Busy Student.

Trying to juggle two uni assignments, which are both due in within a week of each other, at the same time is not easy. Even more so when I'm also trying to juggle placement hours also, but then also trying to have a life at the same time. Oh the struggles of being a student, so please excuse the lack of blog last weekend.

However, here is a shameless selfie in my lovely jumper I was given for Valentine's Day, which I'll admit is also a reason for the lack of blog last week.

So working on two assignments at the same time has resulted in me being very organised, purely I so know in my own head exactly where I am with everything, so I thought now would be the perfect time to show my organisation tips.

The first thing that helps me is to be able to actually see what is due in and when, this is where my whiteboard comes in helpful. Split into 6 sections; 5 modules and then any other things I need to remember. As you can see my two modules which I have assignments in just have a massive date on. If it's just small pieces of work I need to do then these are just usually bullet pointed, the magnets just act as a reminder that I'm currently working on this module. The two modules with crosses through are modules that aren't currently on right now.

To help myself be a little bit more organised and aware of what is going on at just a quick glance this is where these coloured sticker dots come in helpful, and you'll now see why. As you can see, I've already used so many of these.

My wall calendar obviously gives me a monthly view of everything I have going on. To make it easier to know what is happening at just a glance I use my coloured dots. A different colour represents a different thing, so I can quickly glance at this in the morning and be aware of what is going on that day.

As you can see I also use the coloured dots in my diary, which is always on me, and this works the same way as my calendar. It's just a lot more helpful when I'm out and trying to organise things because I already know where I am and what I'm doing that day. As you can see on both the calendar and in my diary, on the days with multiple events there are two dots. Very easy to understand I think.

So when I'm actually working on uni assignments the best advice I can give is do you research, know exactly what you're going to be working on and talking about and get down to your uni library and take out as many books as you need. Honestly, I didn't really do this until the end of my first year and I can really see how this instantly made a difference in my uni work. Even if you don't want to take books out of the library, just go down, look at some, get ideas, references and whatever and just make sure you have a wide variety.

Sat on top of the list of books you can see these little things. These have become my best friends during my time with these two assignments. I use them to mark pages I want to use from books I've taken out and I'm sure that I'll find plenty more uses for them in the future. Being brightly coloured and small makes them a lot more easier to work with to just mark pages in books, compared to normal yellow post-it notes, cause they stand out a lot more and quickly catch my eye.

I think the final tip I could ever give is if you are given guidance by your tutors, use this guidance! Bottom right corner. It's given to you for a reason and is really helpful. I know enough people who don't use the guidance given and then have a good old moan when they don't get the grade they were expecting. I find it helpful to keep me on track within my work and also help me ensure that all my content is relevant.

I know not everyone will like these organisation tips and some people will find them weird, but these tips are just what help me stay organised and a little bit more sane when I'm trying to juggle what feels like a million things at once.